Monday 10 December 2012

Questions I am most often asked during fieldwork

What size shoes do you have?

Can you buy me some boots like yours?

Where are you from?

What is the climate like in England?

What is England like?

What altitude is England at?

Do your parents send you money?

How long have you been in Bolivia?

Do you like Bolivia / Charazani / Amarete /etc?

Will you be godfather to my child?

Are you married? (You`re not?! You should marry someone here!)

When are you going to La Paz? (I always have the feeling when I am asked this that people can`t wait to see the back of me.)

What time is it in England?

Will you take me to England?

What language do they speak in England?




2 comments:

  1. I want to know your answers for questions 10 &14.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For questin 10 I generally say that we should know each other better before entering into such an arrangement.

    For question 14, I explain to them that first they`d have to get a visa sorted out, and ask them what exactly they mean by "take". Take in Spanish is "llevar", which translates literally more like "carry" in this context.

    ReplyDelete