Tuesday 22 January 2013

Bolivianisms

Despite being a pretty fluent Spanish speaker (and speaker of Bolivian Spanish at that) for many years now, I am still regularly left baffled by the use of the language here (and not being familiar enough with the Spanish from Spain, I can't tell completely whether what seem like eccentricities of the language are particular to Bolivia or a characteristic of Spanish itself). Some of the oddities that confuse me the most are as follows (obviously English contains numerous examples of complete nonsense as well, and I am aware that many things seem odd simply because they don`t translate well into English or because we have different conventions of language):

Stating the blindingly obvious:

It is common in Bolivia to ask questions to which the inquisitor already knows the answer, and for which the answer is in fact indisputable. I am generally left unsure how to respond when asked such questions, and generally reply with a simple "yes". Recent examples are when in a friend's house I was brushing my teeth and their son asked me "are you cleaning your teeth?", and when I was on the bus about to leave for La Paz and the guy sat next to me asked me "are you travelling?"

Questions which aren't really questions:

For example, when someone is asking me a question about where I am from and so on, it is common for them to follow up with a question like "tus papas?" ("your parents?") completely out of context (i.e. we hadn't been talking about my parents or family in general). As far as I'm concerned this question makes no grammatical sense and barely any logical sense either (though I generally interpret it is asking whether I have parents).

Yes or No?

This is often asked quite aggressively in the form of a question tag. Typical use might be "el gobierno esta corrupto, si o no?" ("the government is corrupt, yes or no?" would be the direct translation, but a better translation would be "the government is corrupt, do you or do you not agree with me?"). The correct response is, I believe, always to answer "si", but I have made the mistake of answering in the negative, by mistakenly believing that the questioner was actually asking for my opinion. Anyone who asks "si o no?" is generally a complete bore, because apart from that generally being an appropriate description of their personality, they almost always use it around 500% more than necessary, and 2 minutes into any conversation with such a person, the appropriate response is to slap them (I haven't done this up to now though).

Rudeness:

What I see as rudeness is more extremely direct speech, which is used a lot in Bolivia (but especially in the countryside). For example, in Charazani, the town where I have been living in the countryside, a couple of people, when they have seen my laptop or my camera have said to me "Me lo vas a vender" ("you`re going to sell it to me"), which goes beyond rude and sounds a little agressive. In another context it would be common for one person to say to another "me vas a llamar" (you`re going to call me"), which is direct, but doesn`t sound as rude as the first example.

Saying something is going to happen when it is already happening:

So far I only have one example of this, though perhaps there are others: It is typical that when it is already raining (though not strongly), and often has been for some time someone will say "parece que va llover" ("it looks like it`s going to rain"). I never cease to be baffled by this.

Odd questions:

In Bolivia, when someone yawns, someone else always asks them if they are hungry. I am rather bemused by this because as far as I am aware, nobody, in the entire history of humanity has even yawned because they were hungry.

Actually, I can`t say this is anything typical of Bolivian speech and possibly belongs in a different article, but the other day somebody asked me: "¿Cual es tu nombre cuando estas en Inglaterra?" ("what is your name when you are in England?") as though I changed my name depending on where I was living. I thought this was hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment